JAY DAY 2022!
Sunday, October 16 • 12 p.m. to 4 p.m.
ACTIVITIES AT THE 1838 JAY MANSION!
- 1:00pm & 2:00pm A cappella sets with The Yale Spizzwinks (?)
- 2:30pm “What do you know about H2O?” Science show with Mad Science of Westchester
- Get a one-of-a-kind Hand-Cut Silhouette of your child from Varin Acevedo of Sweet Silhouettes in the 1870 Dining Room – (Children 10 & under please)
- Mansion Guided Tour On view- “Unknown Soldiers: The Making of Dickinson at the Jay Estate” exhibit by JHC’s summer fellow Christina Cho
LUNCH and GAMES IN THE MEADOW
- Crazy Taco Mex-You don’t have to be crazy to love their guacamole
- Leila’s Empanadas- Stuffed with love and beef, chicken or cheese
- Try your hand at Old Fashioned Hoop Roll, Cornhole and Ring Toss in the Jay Meadow
- Amazing Balloon Twisters – Revolutionary War swords & butterfly wings are their specialties!
- John Jay Stilt Walker- Super photo op for the whole family!
STROLL THE NEWLY RESTORED JAY GARDENS
- Meet JHC Director of Horticulture and Garden Education Lucia Maestro and learn about the invasive Spotted Lanternfly and what can be done to stop its spread
- 3:30pm James Beard Award-Winning Chef Michael W. Twitty talks about his newest book, “Koshersoul: The Faith and Food Journey of an African American Jew.” FREE copy of his book to first 150 guests.
- Scavenger Hunt– See if you can find all the signs of autumn in the gardens. Make sure to visit all three garden rooms and don’t forget your pumpkin prize!
- Flower Pounding with Fiona-Learn this ancient method of preserving flowers & leaves
WALK “JAY WAY”
- Archaeology with Eugene Boesch– Hold artifacts in your hand from 4000-year-old projectile points to an 18th century slate pencil used by one of Rye’s earliest students
- Pony rides– Take a ride on a pony and imagine a time before cars, trucks and buses
- Say hello to goats, rabbits, sheep and more at our friendly Petting Zoo from Bronx Equestrian
SWEET TREATS, CRAFTS & MUSIC AT THE 1907 CARRIAGE HOUSE!
- Join Sew Happy to craft adorable felt finger puppets and pencil toppers (Kids 6 & older please)
- Music with Bach to Rock, Mamaroneck – Try out the drums or an electric guitar plus student performances throughout the day
- Sample Ronnybrook Farm’s chocolate milk and learn about Starlight Dairy delivery service.
- Visit the talented Face Painters-Don’t be shy! Ask for a rainbow or tiger face
- Build a robot with MakeInspires and take home a 3-D printed surprise
- Treat yourself to home baked goodies from local baker, Sugar’d by Jen
- Enjoy a cone or cup of small batch, locally made ice cream from Longford’s
Immense thanks to our Jay Day Committee, Tracy Edwards, Caroline Wallach and Amy Villalba; and to our many tireless volunteers. We couldn’t do it without Richie Castellano and all of Rye DPW, our very own JHC Staff and all the families who support us!